It is estimated that there are 1.18 billion websites online right now. 152 million of those sites are blogs and over four million posts are written each day for them. The problem is, there are only so many internet users (it is thought that as of 2015, there were 3.2 billion people using the internet). Getting your site noticed when it is literally one in a billion is quite difficult. Making money from your site is even tougher.
One of the important things if you want a successful, profitable site is to take advantage of online marketing. Things like SEO rankings may seem really confusing, but without them, you will struggle to set yourself apart. Think of a search engine as a gatekeeper. Getting to the top of a search engine’s list of natural results is key. Here are 15 ways to help you get there.
Make Your Content Awesome
The algorithms used to calculate search results change, but one thing doesn't: Stick to creating informative, reliable information that's interesting and you're sure to rank. You have to make sure that when living, breathing people come to your site, they find something that they want to read or watch and stay awhile. One of the things search engines look for are sites that keep visitors from clicking away. The longer visitors stay on your site, the better it ranks.
[bctt tweet="The longer visitors stay on your site, the better it ranks. #contentmarketing #pagerank" username="alinabradford"]
Creating interesting, original and unique content is actually the fun part of having your own website because it can be about whatever you want. Remember: it has to be good enough to set your site apart from a billion others.
Keep them Engaged
Other than interesting content, there are a few other things that can keep visitors on your site longer. Here are the other 14 tips:
- Give them another place to go on your site by offering related post links in your copy and in the sidebar.
- Make your internal links a bright color so they catch people's attention. My links are pink!
- Post videos within your written content.
- Add photos. Two to three photos in a post breaks up text and makes it seem more interesting.
- Add headers, bullets and numbered lists to your post. These also make your post look more interesting and helpful at first glance, preventing people from clicking away.
- Give your posts tags that link to collections of similar content.
- Make sure your site's menu is easy to use so readers can find more of your content.
- Make all external links open a new window or browser tab instead of leading the visitors off your page.
- Put your most interesting information "above the fold." Often, if a visitor doesn't see the information they want without scrolling, they click back to the search results.
- Make a gallery post that gets visitors to click through pages using interesting photographs.
- Be sure that your site loads quickly. Most people don't wait around for more than a few seconds for a page to finish loading and NO ONE will click around a slow website.
- Give your visitors a search box so they can quickly find information that they want to read on your site. Mine is at the top of my sidebar.
- Use a font that is easy to read, like Times New Roman or Georgia.
- Don't use big words. Remember, if you don't make everything as easy as possible, people will click away from your site.